Tuesday, June 25, 2013

3D Print Cup - Part 1

I'm Ross, and I'm an animator and designer from Newcastle, but based in Manchester.

A company called Cartridge Save have created a design contest, with the chance of winning a Makerbot 3D printer. I heard about the competition online, from the Draw North West facebook page. To win, you need to design a superhero/fighting character, that can do battle against the other entries in a Top Trumps style showdown. This means you need to think about things such as strength, speed, agility, intelligence and fighting skills. I have no idea how I'm going to tackle this part of the contest, perhaps some tactical research is in order!

As awesome as it would be to win the printer, just the challenge in itself is great enough. I'm always keen to explore new ways of creating characters, with this is my first foray into 3D model making. Just by entering you will get your design printed, so it's worth entering just for that. I had a chance to attend a drop in sessions with Cartridge Save to test out the printer's capabilities. It was a useful thing to do, as it gave me an idea of the limitations, as well as the strengths of the printer.

The thing I'm most looking forward to is painting the character once it's been printed. I'd like to give it a really authentic paint job, to make it look like metal, instead of plastic.

I'll post pictures of the finished model when it's done!


No comments:

Post a Comment